Home from Upon High
Today I went for my first of what I hope will become many hikes into Boulder's mountains. The view from the top of the Anemone trail manged to be simultaneously spectacular and boring. The oranges, golds and reds of the bulbous sedimentary rocks were stunning as were the spiny fir tree fronds that jut out in firework-like directions. The warm sun coupled with the cool canyon breeze makes hiking a delight and it's no wonder everyone here treats the mountain as a source of therapy.
Problem is when you get to the top there isn't a lot to see besides ribbons of land and freeway stretching out for miles in every direction towards the horizon. Obviously it is breathtaking in its own way...it's just that my mind hasn't quite fully relinquished the expectation of and the delight that I used to receive from extraordinary architecture at every turn- the type that so easily becomes taken for granted in London. I'm sure this sensation will fade in time as I become increasingly aware of the natural rather than man made landscapes.
I made this short film of my new home in between reading and writing atop the mountain. Tomorrow I start at Crispin. I'm very excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment