Tuesday, 29 May 2007

Greenwich


This bank holiday I cycled to Greenwich and then on to the Millenium Dome. Despite the thoroughly grim weather it was nice to go exploring. I went to the Maritime Museum, got cold, got warm in a riverside pub and got lost several times. The Thames cycle path between Greenwich and the Dome was particularly eerie. It snakes through some of the most barren and overgrown industrial wasteland I've seen in London: Stinking refinery plants, razor wire surrounded cooling towers, graffiti emblazoned walls, accidental poppy fields etc. One of the highlights was seeing Antony Gormley's huge 'Quantum Cloud' figure near the dome. I hadn't seen it up close before, and I still don't quite understand how it works but that doesn't stop me from loving it. The way the figure solidifies the further you travel away from the structure seems so contrary to the way public artworks typically work? It rewards the visitor who leaves rather than the one who comes up close to admire the work! very clever

Posted by Picasa

No comments: