Saturday, 10 November 2007

Sporting spectacle


Last night I went to see a CU basketball game. The buffs were playing the New Mexico lobos. CU lost (a regular occurrence apparently) and the basketball erred on the side of dull. Despite this I had a fantastic time. The spectacle of American sporting events at all levels makes for a great night out. The rowdy college supporters did their best to put off the other team by waving cloths at key moments to distract the shooter. The cheerleaders performed spectacular flips and carefully choreographed tumbles throughout the game. Best of all was the band who continually played sped up versions of popular 80s classics. The atmosphere was great and it made me think how half hearted support for British university sporting events tends to be in comparison.

Afterwards I went to a frat party with a friend and witnessed twenty or so young men attempt to outdo each other by finding ever more elaborate and improbable ways of consuming beer from a keg. The universally acknowledged winner was a skinny guy with a face like a mole who found that he could do a handstand on top of the keg whilst a friend shoved the foamy funnel down his gullet. After several inverted pushups he fell off spraying arcs of beer all over the place before crashing to the ground and dislocating his wrist. He seemed quite proud of his accomplishment and joined his fellow brothers in a few verses of their favourite song...something about 'slapping the ho'. I left soon after that.

Today I'm hopefully off to relax in some of Colorado famous hot springs. At some point I'm also going to begin planning my roadtrip route through California.

No comments: